Search the archive:
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An (almost) new Cessna 150! (Read 1220 times)
Jul 17th, 2010 at 11:24pm

ThomasKaira   Offline
Colonel
FS9 still lives.
Where Charlie Don't Surf

Gender: male
*****

As promised, it's here. This topic is to show you guys the new family plane, and the work we've been doing to bring it up to scratch.

This is what the instrument panel looked like before any modifications were made.
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/PanelMugshotJet.jpg

Here, we can see a single wheel fairing attached to test whether or not the fairings would fit (they did Wink). Don't mind the garish blue color, we've recently repainted them red so they will match better. Pictures of the repainted fairings are still to come.
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/FairingSampleJet.jpg

Problem 1: The nose gear strut was completely depressurized, and as a result simply could not bear the weight of the aircraft without collapsing entirely.... Also, the shimmy damper needed to be touched up and refilled.
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/NoseStrutBeforeJet.jpg

The solution: we partially disassembled the strut, replaced several faulty O-rings in the hydraulic assembly, then re-assembled, refilled, and re-pressurized the strut. This was the result. (The shimmy damper was repaired off-site)
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/NoseStrutAfterJet.jpg

Problem 2: The original instrument panel had its gauges set up in very awkward positions (refer to the panel mugshot to see which was where). Obviously, me and my stepfather (your semi-professional mechanics on duty), were unwilling to fly the aircraft with such an arrangement, so we decided to move things around.
>What you can see: The instruments have been moved to better resemble the commonly accepted T arrangement.
>What you can't see: Moving the instruments like that required that we rearrange the vacuum and static hoses behind the panel. all that said and done, this was not an easy fix to make. Cheesy
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/ReconfiguredInstrumentsJet.jpg

At the same time, we purchased a new NavCom set for the aircraft, with digital displays...
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/NewNavComJet.jpg

...and a new faceplate for the Transponder. It's not actually a whole new unit, this one was just a touch-up.  Cool
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/NewXponderJet.jpg

Problem 3: The aircraft has seen rewiring in its day, but the workmanship on it was incredibly poor, we found wires powering systems that they did not originally power, horrible solder work, and some wires doing absolutely nothing. Truly, you can't see it back there (well, not much, look at the inline fuse to get a glimpse of just how bad the wiring was), but it was a nightmare. Shocked
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/FusesInJet.jpg

This needed to be fixed, and the only way to fix it was to rewire the aircraft, which involved cataloging which wires were doing what, comparing them to what they should be doing, and retrieving wires that had been lost. At the same time, we decided to get rid of the fuse block and replace it with a circuit breaker panel:
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/FusesGoneJet.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/BreakerTestJet.jpg

Please do not ask what we had to do to get the wiring on this aircraft fixed... what matters is, just today, we finished, and here is the final result:
>What you can see: The circuit breaker panel is installed and integrated into the main instrument panel. We also moved the intercom panel up to the top of the main panel, above the fuel gauges.
>What you can't see: the entire wiring job in the aircraft has been cleaned up and restored to as close as to factory specifications as we could get. The inline fuse now only powers one item: the cigarette lighter. Roll Eyes We have also hardwired the aircraft's Push-To-Talk switch to our intercom, so that it is always plugged in, saving us a plug-in on our intercom.
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/BreakersFinishedJet.jpg

Fixes still to come:
>There is a minor fault in the Nav radio concerning the VOR gauge. Specifically, the to/from flag does not work properly. This will be eventually addressed.
>Seats are currently being reupholstered, and are therefore not in the aircraft right now. We will be receiving them sometime next week.
>We will be moving the radio stack down to the bottom of the large hole they currently reside in, so that we may mount a GPS where they are right now.
>Installing the newly repainted wheel fairings.
>Perform an electrical test on all systems to ensure the new wiring works.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 5:27pm

Fozzer   Offline
Colonel
An elderly FS 2004 addict!
Hereford. England. EGBS.

*****

Excellent job, including a nice set of photos!

http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft.asp?tn=N8855G

Paul..... Cool...!

Dell Dimension 5000 BTX Tower. Win7 Home Edition, 32 Bit. Intel Pentium 4, dual 2.8 GHz. 2.5GB RAM, nVidia GF 9500GT 1GB. SATA 500GB + 80GB. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Micronet ADSL Modem only. Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. FS 2004 + FSX. Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower...Motor Bikes. Gas Cooker... and lots of musical instruments!.... ...!
Yamaha MO6,MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT10,PSR400,PSS780,Roland GW-8L v2,TR505,Casio MT-205,Korg CX3v2 dual manual,+ Leslie 760,M-Audio Prokeys88,KeyRig,Cubase,Keyfax4,Guitars,Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 7:10am

FuturePilot   Offline
Colonel
FSX Gold
Grand Cayman

Gender: male
*****

Cool!

ASUS M4A89GTD, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, 160GB 10,000 RPM HDD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, AMD Phenom II x4 965BE 3.4  GHz OC @ 3.8 GHz, 1GB EVGA GeForce GDDR5 GPU Smiley
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 8:49pm

ApplePie   Offline
Colonel
North Carolina, USA

Gender: male
*****

Great job so far! Smiley

MY SPECS= 5' 11" Slightly less than healthy male, 160 lbs., Brown eyes........Oh...you were wondering about my computers specs.....
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 8:10am

Mitch.   Offline
Global Moderator
If you don't like my driving,
get off the footpath
Australia

Gender: male
*****

Looking good so far, keep up the good work. Cool

Would be interested to know what kind of condition the engine is in (hours, etc)?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
^^^ Click above to check out MySimshots.net  ^^^
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:11am

Fozzer   Offline
Colonel
An elderly FS 2004 addict!
Hereford. England. EGBS.

*****

Mitch. wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 8:10am:
Looking good so far, keep up the good work. Cool

Would be interested to know what kind of condition the engine is in (hours, etc)?

Certification is up to date...>>>

http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/us/8855G

Certainly an excellent acquisition at the right price!... Wink...!

Paul.

Buried deep in the heart of New Mexico!...(Realm of Oblivion).... >>>

http://www.aviongoo.com/aviongoo/faa_info.php?nnum=8855G